Great idea but would be even better if .NET 2.0. [Admin update: .NET 2.0 SP1 now supported]

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I think this is a great idea.  Your work has caused me to look at Trace Listeners to help with a problem I have.  I think it would be even better if you had restricted it to .NET 2.0.  I can see why you wanted to use LINQ, etc. but .NET 3.5 comes with ETW support which changes the game significantly.  For those of us stuck with .NET 2.0 projects, amongst other things, a SQL Trace Listener would be very useful.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Good idea. I don't think there is anything I specifically need that isn't in .NET 2.0, so will look at making the next version compatible (with .NET 2.0 SP1).

My preference is to support .NET 2.0 SP1, because it's better to use DateTimeOffset.

If enough people want base .NET 2.0 (i.e. original RTM), then I will consider an alternative build.

Sly

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM

The new release is backwards compatible with .NET 2.0 SP1 and includes new listeners (RollingFileTraceListener and RollingXmlTraceListener), new arguments for formatting, and Diagnostics.Abstractions for better dependency injection support.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Brilliant!  Thanks very much.  I'm trying it now.